Dallas summers can be unforgiving, especially if your air conditioner is not as effective as it used to be. While a typical air conditioning system can last 12 to 15 years, or longer, performance can decline as it ages, leaving you with a system that not only fails to keep your home comfortable but also costs a fortune to operate and repair. At a certain point, it makes more sense to replace your air conditioner than to continue wasting your hard-earned money on repairing it, though the choice can be a difficult one to make.
Choosing Between AC Repair and Replacement
When you have a problem with an older air conditioner, you will have to weigh your options carefully when it comes to repairs. If your system is in relativity good condition and less than 15 years old, repairing it may be the best solution, especially if the repairs are simple or inexpensive. If it has major problems, is inefficient, or is well over 12 to 15 years old, replacement is often the best option. Here are some things to consider:
- Cost of repairs – Small repairs like replacing a thermostat, repairing a minor refrigerant leak, or replacing the start capacitor can help you get a few more years out of your system while saving some money in the short term. When the required repairs are more serious, such as replacing the blower motor, evaporator coil, or compressor, replacement may be a more sensible option, as these repairs can quickly approach the price of a new system.
- Efficiency – Even if your system is just a decade old, it can use significantly more energy than a modern, energy-efficient system. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, today’s air conditioners use 20 to 40% less energy than those made 10 years ago, and by upgrading to an ENERGY STAR® certified model, you can save even more, up to 15% over a standard system. This can mean significantly lower electricity bills now and in the future.
- Comfort – When they are working properly, older air conditioners can offer great cooling performance, but they lack some of the latest technologies that can make a significant difference in your comfort. Today’s systems offer features like two-stage cooling and variable-speed blowers, which are not only quieter but are adjustable to provide the ideal temperature and humidity control. Optional zoning systems offer independent control of the environment in multiple areas, and advanced Wi-Fi thermostats can offer easy programmability with significant energy savings.
- Warranty – If your current system is no longer covered by a warranty, upgrading to a new air conditioner can offer better performance and reliability, plus full warranty protection. This gives you peace of mind and helps you save money on repairs.
Benefits of Air Conditioner Replacement
Installing a modern, energy-efficient air conditioning system can provide several benefits, such as:
- Lower utility and repair costs
- Less energy usage and a smaller environmental impact
- Better cooling performance, humidity control, and air quality
- Quieter operation with more even, consistent temperatures
- Great features like Wi-Fi thermostats, intelligent diagnostics, and zoning controls
A new air conditioner can improve comfort in your home, add value, and help you avoid inconvenient service calls.
Air Conditioning Replacement in Dallas & Plano
At Total Air & Heat, we can examine your air conditioning system and give you honest, realistic advice about your repair and replacement options, along with full quotes for the recommended services. Should you decide to upgrade, we offer complete air conditioning replacement services, featuring professional, efficient installations that will provide years of reliable service. We provide quality air conditioning, heating, and indoor air quality services throughout Dallas, Plano, Frisco, McKinney, Garland, and the surrounding areas.
Call us today at 972-881-0020 or contact us online to schedule air conditioning replacement in Dallas or Plano!